Monday, June 4, 2018

Why Patreon?

I know, this doesn't count as a real productivity post, but I think it can make a reasonable first post. This is very much an experiment and I don't know how it will turn out. Productivity has been one of the concepts I've hyperfocused on over the past almost 30 years. It has come to my attention that this has resulted in a lot of insights into productivity, motivation, organization, and how humans work. My goal is to find a way to dump the insights I've gleaned in a way that makes that knowledge easier to disseminate. I hope that you find it valuable.

Speaking of which, I would like to know what sorts of topics you would find of most value. I will be engaging both on this platform and via this blog's patreon. My first post there is a poll so if you have opinions as to what types of posts you would most prefer please go there and fill out the survey. I don't think you have to be a patron to take part. If I'm wrong on that front feel free to comment here with your preferences.

I am starting off with both the blog and the Patreon together for three reasons. First, I am more productive when folks have higher expectations of me and I expect patrons would have higher expectations. Second I think folks should be compensated for their work. I know that I don't contribute what I should to supporting creators out there but I want to and having a Patreon will help me to do that. Third, it provides me information about how valuable this blog is for folks. Qualitative data, like comments are great and they definitely feed one side of my brain. But the other side needs quantitative data. Views and such is good but when folks put their money down, even $1 a month, it tells that quantification-hungry part of my brain that value is being transferred.

As this is my first post, I don't expect to get patrons right away. I haven't provided any value yet. This is me from June 2018 talking however. If you are here from the future and have read several posts because this is exactly what you were looking for, consider joining my Patreon community.

No comments:

Post a Comment